Monday 23 May 2011

ASUS M4A77TD Pro AM3 Motherboard Mini-Review


Update: This board has full 6-core CPU support for both the 1055T and 1090T Black Edition Hex-Core 45nm CPU's. BIOS version/update 2005.

I have never really been dedicated to one single motherboard brand like I am with my CPU's and video cards. I have had pretty good results from Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS, and ASRock. Though my last 3 personal builds have all been ASUS powered. So I guess ASUS has managed to sneak it's way to the top of my favorites list. My latest build is no exception.

I did quite a bit of research on what motherboard to use in my new build, I wanted one that did not cost a lot, yet had all the basic features I was looking for.

  • AMD Northbridge since I use ATI video cards
  • Successful core unlocking of AMD X2 and X3 CPU's results from other users
  • Good overclocking and BIOS options
  • DDR3 Support
  • AM3
  • 140 Watt CPU support
  • Crossfire ready
  • Good on-board audio
  • Gigabit LAN
  • Future hex-core CPU support
With those basic wants in mind I did a lot of digging and ended up settling on the ASUS M4A77TD Pro motherboard. I was able to pick it up on Newegg on an "Open Box" deal for $70, saving me money I was able to use on other hardware.

This motherboard not only meet all my needs, but had a 100% success rate on core unlocks and good overall overclocking results. The AMD770 Chipset also allows me to use AMD Overdrive to its fullest potential.

Here is a list of its overclocking features:
  • Intelligent overclocking tools
  • Turbo Key
  • Stepless Frequency Selection
  • FSB tuning from 200MHz up to 550MHz at 1MHz increment
  • PCI Express frequency tuning from 100MHz up to 150MHz at 1MHz increment
  • Overclocking Protection
  • ASUS CPU Parameter Recall
My only concern was it was the first time I had ever ordered a product "open box". Though I did not require any of the normal hardware that comes with a new motherboard, I have more than enough on hand and drivers can all be found online, I was concerned with the board condition. In the end however, my concerns were unwarranted, it showed up in a M4A77TD box (Not the pro version), well packed, and in mint condition.

The board fit perfectly in my mid-tower case. Installation of the CPU, memory, and into my case took a total of about 15 minutes. Once I got all the other hardware installed, hooked up, and all my cables managed to promote unimpeded airflow, the board fired right up and I begin installing my OS.

Now I had read in some online reviews, such as those on Newegg, that some other users were having problems with the boards related to the memory running at a single channel. When you would try to run in dual channel, the boards would not post. I however did not have a single problem with this. The ADATA 1600G OC DDR3 I purchased worked wonderfully and is perfectly stable running overclocked at 1600.

This board, for me, does everything I ask of it and more. There is also plenty of room to upgrade if the need ever arises. Though to be honest, I don't think that need will present itself anytime soon. As it is now, with the other hardware in the build, I can play any game on the market today that I would want to and it handles my multimedia, video, and graphic editing needs.

So after over a month of hard use, gaming, and stress testing overclocks, the ASUS M47A77TD Pro is still screaming right along and working flawlessly. So I give this board a 10 out of 10 and would recommend it to anyone looking for an affordable yet powerful AMD build.

Here is a breakdown of the boards primary specifications:
  • ATX Formfactor
  • AMD Socket AM3 140W CPU 45nm Support
  • AMD Cool 'n' Quiet™ 2.0 Technology
  • AMD 770/SB710 Chipset
  • 5200 MT/s Hyper-Transport™ 3.0 interface
  • 4 x DIMM DDR3 1800(O.C.)/1600(O.C.)/1333/1066 (16GB Max)
  • 2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 - 1 x PCIe x1 - 3 x PCI
  • Realtek 8112L PCIe Gb LAN
  • 1 xUltraDMA 133/100 - 5 x Serial ATA 3Gb/s Support RAID 0,1,10 - 1 x eSATA 3Gb/s ports
  • VT1708S High Definition Audio 8 -Channels
  • 12 USB 2.0 ports
A few other ASUS specific features:
  • ASUS EPU-4 Engine
  • ASUS Express Gate
  • ASUS Turbo Key
  • ASUS Q-Fan
  • ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3
  • ASUS EZ Flash 2
  • ASUS MyLogo 2
  • ASUS AI NET 2
Rated: 10/10

0 comments:

Labels

(Electronics) 2011: 2012: 3.4GHz 400MHz 4x512 acpi_call Adapter Alienware all-in-one Amd processors AMD's AMD’s Analysis Android Angry Announced Announcement announces Antec Apple Apple's Arctic Arrives Aspire ASRock Athlon Audio Battle Benchmarked Biostar Blackberry Blu-ray Bluetooth Bridge Broadband Browser Budget business Cache camera Chromebook Compound Computer Computers) Computex Concept Cooler Corsair Crysis Dell's Design Desktop Desktops Details Devices Diamond Digital Display Download Drive External Extreme Facebook feature features First flash Fujitsu Fusion Future Galaxy Gaming GeForce Gigabyte Honeycomb HSFPHASECM India Indian iPad iPhone Keyboard Keyboards Keypad Kingston Laptop Laptops latest Latitude launched launches Leaked Lexmark's LGA1155 LGA1366 LGA775 Light Llano Logitech M2N-SLI MacBook Master Medal Media Medion Mini-Review Mobile mobiles module Motherboard MotherBoard's Motherboards Motorola Mouse MSI's MSM8660 Multimedia National NC215S Netbook Netbooks Nexus nFORCE Nokia Non-ECC notebook Notebooks NTLDR NVIDIA NVIDIA's Offers omnia Optical Optimus Option Overclock Overclocked overview panasonic Panda Panel Patriot Pavilion PC2-5300 PC2-6400 Performance Phone Plans player PlayStation Portable Postpaid Power PowerPC Preview Preview: Price Prices ProBook Processor Processors Project Projector Propus Qosmio Quad-Core Qualcomm Quick Radeon RadTech Rates Razer Registry release Released Releases Retail Review Review: Reviews Rupees Rupess Samsung SandForce Sandy Satellite SDRAM Seagate Select Sensitive Series Series™ Server shutdown Shuttle Silent Silicon Silver Single Small Smartphone Smartphones Socket SODIMM Solar Solid Speakers special Specifications Specs Speed Store Super tablet Tablets takes Tariff Technology Tegra Testing Thermal ThinkPad Thunderbolt Toshiba touch TouchPad Touchscreen TouchSmart toughbook Tower Troubleshooting Tutorial: Ultimate Ultra unveils Update Verizon Vertex ViewSonic Viliv Vista Vodafone Voodoo webOS Western white Wi-Drive Wi-Fi WiMax Windows Wireless Workstations: World Writer www.phoronix.com Xperia Zotac

About This Blog

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP